Monday, October 20, 2008

Annelie's Tribute

Below is the text for Annelie's moving tribute to Marika and her artmaking. She captured her essence so perfectly, and the ending in particular was awe-inspiring. Thank you for sharing so brilliantly, Annelie!

David asked me to talk about Marika's paintings. But before I do that I want to let you know how we met.

Marika would tell people that I picked her up. Indeed, I picked her out of a room full of interesting people as someone I wanted to get to know better. So I introduced myself and asked her "for a date."

In Marika I found a kindred spirit with our shared interest in art forming the strongest bond.

Marika approached painting with the same zest and vigor she applied to her life, loving the creative process in itself. Bold brushstrokes and vibrant colors infuse her paintings with energy and spontaneity.

There was no "pussyfooting around" in Marika's art making style. I think the term "action painting" best describes her approach. I can see her now, spatula in hand, scraping away and re-applying paint to arrive at surfaces that are alive and have great emotional appeal.

Marika would return from trips all fired up and eager to translate her impressions into bold new canvases. She would often incorporate collected natural mementos into her paintings which greatly enhance the tactile qulity of her work. For example "Techno-Totem" has the sand of this Australian site mixed into the paint. This is one of David's favourite paintings. He says that it totally captures the spirit of the place.

One of the hallmarks of a good painting is that it challenges the viewer in some way. With "Haida Gwai Totem" Marika set up very thought provoking imagery when she juxtaposed a totem pole with modern day machinery.

Marika's paintings connect with the viewer through a theme, a message or an emotion in a very powerful way.

Like her personality, Marika's art making has many facets and she leaves behind a body of work that is astounding.

When I think about Marika now I do not envisage the academic, the scientist, the author nor the painter but a unique friend, the HUNGARIAN FIRECRACKER. Visualize it with me, the explosion of energy shooting up into the skies, transforming into an array of glittering stars and a rainbow of color, then descending and sprinkling us all with a little magic.

Thank you, Marika, for adding color and sparkle to our lives.

No comments: