Friday, July 10, 2009

Still influential at UNBC

Jennifer Swennumson, a former student and friend of Marika's, submitted an application to graduate studies at UNBC, where Marika had headed the Women's Studies department for several years. She listed Marika as her referee, giving this explanation:

Marika was to be my strongest reference. I knew her for many years personally and academically. Unfortunately before I was to submit my graduate application, she passed away suddenly. It is my wish to still have her as one of my referees as I know she would have wanted this, and it is partially my intention to honour an incredibly gifted woman who was vital to UNBC. In one of our many conversations, Marika always told me she would be the first individual to be my reference for graduate studies. To quote her, “You have a brilliant mind, Jennifer. It is time to enrol in graduate studies. If you do not do it, I will never forgive you. Academically, you are one of the strongest women I have seen and it is time to use your gift…your brilliant mind.” Marika Ainley, Winter 2008

She was accepted, and awarded a grant to assist with her studies.

Thank you, Jennifer, for sharing this story.

No comments: