Saturday, September 20, 2008

Friday/Saturday

Friday and Saturday were quiet days for Mum. She was not speaking much - not really able to focus enough on it at times, which raised some concerns. A nurse finally pointed out today that a switch in pain medication might make her a bit more alert, and reviewed the case with a doctor and got the switch approved. This, of course, raises the question as to why it took so many days for this to cross someone's mind (and it's certainly not the first shortcoming in the very well-intentioned care that we've recognized). By Sunday we should know if there has been improvement.

While Mum has been resting a lot and fairly quiet when awake, she is good at using her arms to point out what she wants and needs when lacking the strength to speak. Her long-time friend and colleague Barbara is visiting from Montreal, and has been regaling Mum with stories so that she could lay back and be caught up on things without having to participate as actively.

Fingers are crossed that Mum will be able to be more awake and talkative, as we all know her and expect her to be.

3 comments:

Helen Domshy said...

Hi Marika. Thought you could use a laugh, remembering our meeting. In 1996 I stopped work for a year. I was encouraged to search my inner self to see what I wanted to do, but never found the courage to act on that drea. When it became clear that I wanted to return to iniversity and UNBC was sitting right there infron to fme, I made an appointment with the chair of Women's Studeies and also witht the chair of the English dept.Well, lucky me! Marika was in full form that day and after sharing stories and laughs, I got ready to leave the office of this amazing but very busy woman. To my amazement, when I stood up to go, Marika jumped up as well, threw her arms around me and said: "Cancel the english department. You belong with us!"

Helen Domshy said...

Well, I feel the need to keep going, so here is the continuation of this story. I took some undergraduate courses, then was accepted into graduate school taking an M.A. in Gender Studies. What work, what fun, but Marika was there to kick my butt on a regular basis. My life changed and with it my focus as a community activist was developed. Thanks are never enough! Love and respect for the most influential woman in my life will be with me always, and I hope I can sometime inspire and support other women as Marika did for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marika
I, too, am having a quiet day. Si and I working on the editting of our book. It is coming together slowly, as did the others. Thinking of you as I "play".

Love Lynn xo