Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wednesday

Mum had a mostly sleepy day today - some activity like yesterday, but not as much. She still has strength in her and is at times able to move herself, but she is mostly quite still. The degree of changes since last week is just unbelievable. One nurse said some people can go to these extremes in one day, but it is still such a shift.

Julian Rowan visited today with his wife and had a few moments with her, but she was less responsive than yesterday. He was so pleased about the gift of the ashtray that had suddenly shown up, and of course so sorry to see Mum in this state.

Plans are underway to dedicate the upcoming Studio Madrona exhibit at Goward House to Mum. As Marsha wrote, "Hopefully this positive emphasis will resonate with her. Maureen and Alice (curators of this show) are planning to hang all of your mother's pieces together. As you know, her work is powerful, not only in content and message, but also in style. When shown together, the spirit of her works will fill that space of Goward House." This means a lot to all of us, as Mum's art was really such an important part of how she has expressed herself in recent years, and her friendship with the group at Goward House has been a key element in her life in Victoria.

Among the few words Mum stated when she was in rough shape a few days after the chemo treatment was "Celebration of life...Goward House...", and she made it clear that she wanted not a traditional memorial service but a celebration of her life to be held at Goward House. Her friend Gerry Dirks had been celebrated in a similar way after his recent passing, and she was clear this was how she wanted to be remembered - you know Mum, she loves celebrations and parties and a positive focus! Until the family arranges that celebration - she hasn't passed yet, after all - the art exhibition starting soon will be a wonderful way to honour her. Details of the exhibition will be posted here shortly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go gloriously and triumphantly Marika. May you be at peace. You take much love foward with you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Marika

Hello my love from Prince George and do wish that we could keep you with us. You are a special lady and you have been a dear friend to me particularly when Michael died a year ago tomorrow. Such a sad time in my life but you were such a positive influence and helped me a great deal with the pain.

Now we must deal with the pain of losing you. Oh my, how do we do that. I, quite simply, absolutely adore you but I know I must say good-bye - such a sad day.

Patsy

Anonymous said...

My dear friend,
Gil and I are away for a few days. Will I still see you when I return? Your voice might soon be quiet but the echo of your spirit will be with me always. I am keeping you in my heart. Annelie