Saturday, September 6, 2008

What an improvement!

Your stated wishes, and ours, have been coming true. Mum showed huge signs of improvement when we saw her today. First off, she was wearing her glasses, despite being on her side in bed. She had her voice almost fully back, so she wasn't just whispering - what a relief to be able to communicate more clearly and to hear her character coming through more strongly!

And she certainly did come through loud and clear. She had a few words about her evening nurse ('Why do they always come disturb you just after you've fallen asleep?') [though all the other nurses we've met have been great] and had us draw up a huge list of things to bring in (including make-up and her sketch-book) and errands to run. The coffee no doubt perked her up (we gave it to her on ice), and she had a few more requests for edible items. Her digestive tract is still messed up inside, but her mouth is healing very well and so we hope she'll be able to start taking more food and drink before long. She's still wanting the scotch she asked for yesterday, but since it is quite harsh we may just give her a homeopathic dose diluted in water.

She was happy to see pictures of the art exhibit that she has some paintings in, and to get some cards. Please feel free to send cards and we'll take them in. We're going to do up the room while she's there - we asked about hammering in a few nails and putting more pictures on the walls. The cards will make a lovely addition too. She was also delighted to read the comments you wrote (and she was able to read them, rather than having me read them to her).

The address to send to is

Marika Ainley
304-1106 Glenora Place
Victoria, BC
V8P 2C3

We're on a lunch break before going back for another visit. Will update again later. Marilyn's soup and Mario's gelato are on her menu for this afternoon...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, What great news about your mother. I will put a note in the mail to her. I am wishing David, Vicky and you lots of strength and courage to get through this rough patch. My thoughts are with you all.

Love Joanne

Anonymous said...

Hello to Marika, David and family!
Marika, I am thinking of you and I love you!! xox I hope I can make it over to the island sometime soon.
Amy

Anonymous said...

Hello Marika!! The news for today is excellent and we're delighted to hear that you're moving forward!! Just keep going. We've had a dark rainy day here but after I opened the blog to such wonderful news, the clouds have cleared and the sun is coming out. Even the birds are more active!! We send our loving thoughts and best wishes as you gain in strength and comfort. Much love, Susan & John

Anonymous said...

Marika!
So glad you are improving!
"You can't keep a good woman down!"
The day just got brighter when I read Mark's message for today!
Your "Windmills " in Australia are striking and powerful! - like you!!!
Love and wishes for further improvement!!! Alice

Anonymous said...

Hi Marika, We were all elated to hear that you are feeling much better today. Mark told us that you had made a long to-do/bring etc. list so I knew you were doing better!! Now that I know your whole family I can honestly say what a handsome lot your are. There were quite a few visitors to the show today and some to see your paintings in particular - Marsha will tell you about it. Quite a number of people looked intendly at your 'BLUE' painting. It is surprising how one can discover many different images in it.
Until I can see you take lots of cuddly hugs - sent to you via Vicky. Annelie

Dorothy said...

Hi Marika,
What great news that you are doing better today and that Mark is keeping us informed of your progress. That scotch sounds like excellent medicine even if it is diluted. Maureen and I manned(womanned) the show this morning and heard many favorable comments. Your totem is positively mystical. Much love, Dorothy

lynda said...

Marika, our thoughts and love are flowing to you from Prince George. We can see you now, sketch book in one hand, a single malt in the other and an eye out for the birds.

Lynda and Elain

Unknown said...

Hallo Marika,
We are thinking of you very much with lots of love whishing you to recover as soon as you can. We will send you some pictures of Cilla and Anton. All our love to you David, Vicky and Mark
Louis, Monica and Carro

Anonymous said...

Hi Marika, How are you today? I hope you are feeling physically and psychologically fortified.(We know about the Scotch!)
We'll be missing you at Bonny's today. Let us hope that I don't have many nosy parkers looking over my shoulder. Tell you more tomorrow. Love Annelie

Marvin said...

Hi Marika! Thank Mark from us for giving us great news, It's so nice to hear that you are getting better.
My son Stephen and his wife are visiting from Pennsylvania, so, I won't be going to Bonny's house today but she's got one of my pieces
in exhibit together with one from Marsha. I'm sure her place will be full of people admiring her beautiful home.I'm glad to hear that you are sketching.Keep on improving We know that with your inner strengh you can do anything you put your mind to.We love you and miss you. Hugs to you,Vicky,Mark and David
Till later
Jack and Marvin

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling a bit better i will tell my mum and dad what is on the blog as they have no computer , with love always susan ,john,daniel,emily,pauline,arnold

Anonymous said...

Dear Marika and rest of the Ainleys,
While recently sitting up til silly hours of the night to watch Olympics in China I had many flashbacks to Montreal 76 and the privilege of being part of your family for those 2 weeks and seeing the games live. What a wonderful place to remember being!
Best wishes for recovery. See also my mum's note attached to the Alaska cruise photo if you haven't already. Mark, I've little idea what you've turned into in the 30yrs since I last saw you but it sounds like your folks (and big sister?) raised you right.
Mike Silk

Anonymous said...

Marika, artiste extraordinaire -

I saw the display of Studio Madrona art works at the C ... Gallery (can't remember all the letters) off Fort St. and loved "Art History 101". So I bought it. (Cheque is in the mail, as they say.) Lady, you have a terrific sense of color, design, and humour. My home and I are delighted with Art History 101!! Now, keep fighting those nasty cancer cells, girl.

Many hugs from Kate Mailer

Anonymous said...

Marika,
I have not called you by your first name before, but it seems right. I am in Tokyo, Japan, and am following your progress from this side of the world. I admire you and Vic and Mark and David for the caring and love you show and share with each other, and it touches me. A family like yours is worth a thousand priceless paintings. Thank you for this reminder of what true family means. I am deeply touched as I write this and inspired. So I thank you. Thinking of you in full health and brightness, Renata.