Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday night

Mum continued to be more active today than yesterday. She would wake more and clear her throat. She actually managed to turn herself onto her side when we weren't in the room - she's got more strength than she shows. "She's still keeping us on our toes and still running the show," the cheery nurse said. (The staff truly are exceptional.) Vicky arrived and the pampering continued.

And another Rowan connection today - the wife of Rowan's son Julian came in... the same day Mum had been gifted with a hand-carved ashtray made by Rowan?!? What kind of incredible timing is this? Mum's face lit up again, much as it had when she saw Joanne's face this morning. It seems that older memories are triggering a very strong response from her; I mumbled something in Hungarian (which I cannot speak, other than a few words) and she responded quickly.

Mum is so tough that she continues to fight, and it is challenging to see her in this state. She is not comfortable per se, but clearly as comfortable as circumstances can allow. I am grateful that my memories of her are so powerful that these will supersede her last days.

I had a lucid dream experience with Mum in the early hours of Tuesday - I awoke in their apartment (but in the dream, as real as it felt) to find her, Dad, and Vicky all there. She was in good health, looking around, and energized. It was wonderful to sense her presence so fully. I had told her the previous day that she could always find a way to communicate with me, and I think she did.

The nurse called at 10pm Tuesday night at our request, and said she was resting well. The doctor said they are checked regularly, and when no family is present the nurses often sit with the patients for periods of time. She is being well looked after.

5 comments:

Bill Du Russel said...

Hey Marika,

Your spirit is brighter than any halogen light I've ever repaired for you. Shine on baby, shine on!

Anonymous said...

Dear Marika, David, Mark & Vickie,

Thank you, Mark, for your moving narrative of our dearest Marika's brave journey. The narrative constitutes a beautiful and poignant web, holding us ALL together with Marika as she expresses herself in her final chapter. She is, as always, encouraging us, teaching us, that approaching each concluding day, can be a graceful, peaceful, and meaningful extension of one's life, as recent days (contacts with the Rowan family, with old friends, with family) have shown. The three of you, as loving caregivers and dear friends, are, with Marika, at the center of the web, guiding us all, for which we are deeply grateful.

With hope that this day will bring Marika's spirit forward and that smiles and hugs will give a warm and even joyful day and with an abundance of love and thoughts of you all, Susan & John

Unknown said...

Dear Marika, David, Vickie and Mark,

My thoughts are with you all. Marika you are well supported with your loving network. I send you love and virtual hugs if I cant be there. I wish you peace as you prepare to fly away from us. What colour are your wings--RED of course!

much love,

Jenny Ferns

Anonymous said...

My dear friend, I am writing this through tears and thankfulness for the time we've had you with us.Your vibrant spirit and your understanding has been wonderful. I hate to let you go but I know you'll be with us still. A spirit like yours will never be forgotten. I'm putting in my order for a dream sequence with you.
We have just come back from Alberta where we celebrated my 50th class reunion. And, guess what? everyone looked as old as we are!! There was a lot of reminicing and I stood in the room where we lived when I was 6, (just the odd few years ago!) The High school I attended became a College and then a University and is now affiliated with U of A.
One of my classmates went to art school and became a profeesional artist and kindly took us through his studio. You would have loved his art.
I am so very happy that I have 2 of your pictures which I treasure and remember the fun we had discussing them.
David ,Vickie and Mark, Thank you so much for letting us share this journey with you. It has so good to hear how Marika's doing day by day. We hope you will have some peaceful time with her yet. We all love her and we're thinking of you. Sylvia and Paul

Anonymous said...

Dearest Marika,

We sing for you and hope that the songs come through, even though we aren't present in the room. Maybe you would like to have a visit from the Songs of Passage singers at Hospice sometime when your family is there? Their songs are truly lovely.

Thank you, Mark, Vickie and David for your courage and caring, and for sharing Marika's journey. We are so grateful.

With love,

Alison and Jim Prentice