Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday Evening

Mum's throat continued to hurt today. This afternoon we had a lovely visit in shifts, though. She got the television in her room activated, now that she has enough energy and waking hours to pay attention to it, so we made a date to go back to watch one of her favourite programs together at 9pm, a British police show called New Tricks.

She was not fully able to stay awake throughout the program, but enjoyed having it on in the background and we taped it at home for future reference. Unfortunately her throat is still giving her big problems - it seems that the skin inside is regenerating and so there is a lot of irritation. She has been given more medicine to help accellerate the process while also soothing the area.

This afternoon, just before I went in, the lady in the next room called me in and asked about what treatment Mum had had. She said that she recognized the kind of cough as what she herself had gone through after some chemo and stated that the 10-day mark where Mum is made sense - and this lady was sounding much stronger and clearer. "Everything that you're hearing is from the chemo," she said, "and she'll get through that." It was very encouraging. She also piped up in support when the nurse was at the door sarcastically announcing the arrival of more Jello, which Mum hasn't been wanting to eat. "It goes down easy on the throat," called out the neighbour. Nice to know she has someone next door looking out for her!!

Mum is still loving all your comments and is buoyed by your thoughts and wishes, as are we all.

11 comments:

Ron Craven said...

Hi Marika
I hope I have now cracked this 'blogging' umpteenth attempt!! Us old buggars need some tuition!!I have never done this before.
Spoke to David last night, and he said you were being well looked after, our thoughts and best wishes are with you.
Franklyn & Betty wish to be remembered and you are in their thoughts and prayers. They have not got a 'computer' so are not up to date with modern communication, I think they are still using carrier pigeon!!
Don't drink all the whisky, leave some for me!
Lots of luv Ronnie & Dorothy

Anonymous said...

Hi all just been on line with new zealand and barbara sends you all best wishes glad to see a little improve ment love all the family in yorkshire

Anonymous said...

Hi Marika,

My thoughts are with you. I am discovering Victoria and enjoyoing every minute. Looking forward to walking on the beach with you. Joanne

Anonymous said...

byjyzdcHi Marika

I am not sure if I mentioned to you and David (when I saw you at the cancer clinic on Aug. 28th)that I and my walking team were walking 60km in the Weekend to End Breast Cancer. Well we walked this past weekend (every step - no rides)in Vancouver. We carried a team banner that we put names on of friends and family fighting cancer. Your name was on our banner and I walked for you.

I hope that you will be feeling better soon. Know that I am thinking of you and holding you in my heart.

Robin Breckon

Anonymous said...

Hi Marika,
I am in Montreal and have just learned that you are in the hospital. My thoughts are with you and your family. I have always admired your feisty spirit and know that it will help bring you through this fight.
Sending love and hugs your way - am looking forward to seeing that glorious amile of yours again soon.
Love, Mary Anne Inkster

Anonymous said...

Dràga Marikàm,miutàn a Te super fiad ezt a lehetöséget adta, igyekszem megtanulni ezt is. Ahogy értettem javultal, nagyon sokat gondolunk Ràd, és figyelemmel kisérjük a hireket. mindig tudtam, hogy Veled kapcsolatban az ember csak okosodhat! Minden-minden jot Kati Geza

Anonymous said...

Dear Marianne,
Last week I came to know from Barbara that you are not well and in the hospital. I am sorry to hear you are not well. I am reading everyday the progress of your health as Mark is informing us. I am glad that you are improving. I am praying to God for your full and speedy recovery. I hope and wish you go back to home soon and have normal life.
All the best and love. Nilima

Unknown said...

So glad to be able to watch your progress on this blog, dear Marika. I think of you often as I wander around my garden - you should be here with your camera and your big smile!
With much love and best wishes,
Claire

Anonymous said...

Dear Marika & David,
We received a phone call from Jean in Elland and have just read the blog. We are rather computer illiterate
and didn't realise what it contained, like Jean, I still post letters.
What a great idea Mark, it is good to read your updates.
So pleased to hear you are feeling better Marika, have you had the scotch yet!! Keep up the good work.
We have been to the UK (June/July) had a great time. They are showing a new series of the TV programme
New Tricks... Not sure if you are uptodate in Canada but here in Oz we are a series behind. It is one of our
favourite programmes too.
Thinking of you both.
With Love & All Good Wishes
Hilary & Jack

lynda said...

Marika, no suprise you've got your spunk back! You've always been an amazing woman.

A message from Theresa & Wendy, Marie & Phil, Murry & Brian: 'we're thinking of you'!

I'm preparing a 48x60 in. canvas for something wild and wonderful in your honour. Will send photos.

Regards to you, David, Vicki and Mark.

Lots of love.

Lynda and Elain

Unknown said...

Marika and David,
The sun has finally come out in P.G.. Yesterday we basked in it while listening to "Pops in the Park". Fergus who has returned from Quebec, describe us (Zsuzsi, yourself, and myself) as the "Sisterhood of the travelling red hair and funky glasses" to our French house guest. He further clairifies that nobody wears glasses like you!
I enjoy reading the blog and comments, and it is comforting to know that you are surrounded by so much love.

Mary, Peter, Eilis and Fergus